1.30.2010

days #26-#30

this week has been busy & full of life lessons.
i've traveled to & from tucson (soon to be to & from again),
assisted bob in editing our film to submit to a film festival,
attempted to actually get some work done at the office,
and engaged in a work activity that involved downtown PHX & the light rail.

that last one is what i want to really examine right now.
the concept of this event was a photo collage of an adventure with coworkers.
the purpose of it was to get us out of the office & learning about each other.

but that doesn't mean i wasn't partially dreading it.

my comfort zone is somewhat nebulous, but there is a key trait:
i act alone.
pushing my boundaries is a lot easier when i don't have someone there pushing them with me.
and this event forced me to push my boundaries with 5 people i barely know in a teamwork event.

can i tell you a secret?
it was great.

in my cynical college-student days,
i would've referred to this as mandated fun.
that day, though, i actually got it.
riding on the light rail, racing from museum to library,
i felt like i was expanding.
(it was probably just my comfort zone that was shape-shifting, but i could feel myself going along with it.)

passion is messy, and it must not be assigned parameters.
when i sit in a comfort zone of my own design with fences to keep me inside,
i miss out on the energy right outside it.

if i keep on doing what i've done before,
i'll just keep creating what i've created before.

that's boring.

God created us as relational beings,
and we need more than just ourselves to make real magic happen in this world.
so i now have 5 more people in my life, 5 more sources of creativity & magic.