10.15.2008

the black hole

my mouth gets me into a lot of trouble.
don't get me wrong --
i TRY to make it do good things.
but sometimes it just seems to have a mind of its own.

in reading ephesians 4, it's interesting how many things we are warned against that have to do with our mouths.
even the indirect ones, like being angry, are often expressed through words.

so how do we keep our black holes from sucking us into oblivion?

i've been trying to team up with the Spirit within me to get some of this tendency-toward-implosion under control.
trouble is that i like to do it on my terms,
and i find myself using my mouth to do a lot of the talking.
the Spirit, though, seems to prefer me to quiet down.
It wants to share some ideas on self-control, being that self-control is one of Its very own fruits.

so what am i learning?
to slow down.
to listen up.
to stay in rhythm with the Spirit, who in turn guides my words.

now, i'm still human.
so the words aren't always spot on,
and sometimes they are COMPLETELY off.
but then my mouth can do something really useful:
apologize.

i know i can't seal the black hole,
but i guess i'm praying that God will make me into a supernova.
a supernova that is really good at listening to Him.